Sol M. George

Copyright (2008) * All rights reserved
J.C. (Jim) Tumblin, OD, DOS
3604 Kesterwood Drive, East
Knoxville, Tennessee 37918-2557
(865) 687-1948

Fountain Citians Who Made A Difference

(The George House at 4008 Tazewell Pike after the remodeling, 1958)

Sol M. George

6/17/1883-8/2/1943

Fountain City has been blessed with many community minded citizens who made a positive difference in the lives of those around them.

George's Department Store, Circa 1955

(Courtesy of the Knoxville News Sentinel Archives)

The subject of this essay is one of those people.

These are the members of the George Family:

Father: Sol H.: 9/1/1839-9/10/1924  

Mother: Mary A.: 5/13/1848-4/17/1927  

Three children:

Edgar: 8/26/1873-1/11/1937  

Hubert: 5/8/1875-6/8/1944  

Sol M.: 6/17/1883-8/2/1943

Family Burial Plot: Greenwood Cemetery, Tazewell Pike, Knoxville, TN

The George Home, Circa 1958

(Courtesy of the Knoxville News Sentinel Archives)

The George home was located at 4008 Tazewell Pike, the present site of the Northside Christian Church.  It is shown here after it was remodeled as a temporary location for the church.

To compliment a biographical essay on Sol M. George (1883-1943), his portrait is needed.  Other materials regarding this family which is so important in Fountain City history are also desired.  

Sol H. George (1839-1924) was one of the nine member company which built the Fountain Head Hotel in 1885-86, along with B.R. Strong, James Anderson, J.C. Karnes and others.  Then in 1889 when the Fountain Head Railway Company was formed; it was S.H. George, F.A.R. Scott, J.C. White, J.H. Cruze and John B. Neily who were the incorporators.

Anyone with photographs or information, please contact the webmaster (address on the Homepage).

Thanks, JCT

Thank you for visiting.  Return to Homepage.